Canadians acquired nearly 107,000 new vehicles in February 2012, up 11% from 2011 levels. Through two months, the Canadian new vehicle market is up 13% compared with the first two months of 2011. According to Desrosiers, passenger cars made up 43% of the market, the other 57% of the market was made up of pickup trucks, SUVs, crossovers, and minivans.
Ford was Canada’s best-selling automaker last month. Pair Dodge and Ram together, as they once were and should be, and the duo’s total is strong enough to surpass Toyota, but not enough to overtake the Blue Oval. As a corporation, however, Chrysler Canada out-sold Ford Motor Company by 943 units in February. Chrysler, Ford, and General Motors finished rather closely in terms of overall volume. Together, they accounted for 43% of all sales.
Apart from the now defunct Saab, no brand fell harder in February than Lincoln. No other declining brand even came close to Lincoln’s 30% drop, although Ford’s numerical losses weren’t pleasant.
Hyundai beat Honda. Mazda beat Kia. GMC beat Jeep. Mercedes-Benz beat BMW to be Canada’s favourite luxury brand in February. Audi ranked third among premium brands. Fiat beat Scion; Scion beat Mini. Among the 18 best-selling brands in Canada, no automaker reported greater year-over-year gains than Toyota. 23% of all Toyotas sold in Canada last month were Corollas. Camry sales jumped 250%.
February 2012’s Canadian automobile market is broken down and ranked by individual brands in the table below. The U.S. version of this table can be viewed here. Check back as the month rolls by for Canadian best seller lists and segment breakdowns. The dropdown menu at the top right of this page is the best way to access detailed sales info for any specific model currently on sale.